adventure/question/inspired/musings

everyday is an adventure. question beliefs, assumptions and status quo. be inspired. seeking for different points of view.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

MUSINGS:Joke about probability = miracle

'Ingeniously employing game theory—the logic of ‘zero-sum’ and ‘non-zero-sum’ games—Wright isolates the impetus behind life’s basic direction: the impetus that, via biological evolution, created complex, intelligent animals; and then, via cultural evolution, pushed the human species toward deeper and vaster social complexity. In this view, the coming of today’s interdependent global society was ‘in the cards’—not quite inevitable, perhaps, but, as Wright puts it, ‘so probable as to inspire wonder.’ So probable, indeed, as to invite speculation about higher purpose—especially in light of ‘the phase of history that seems to lie immediately ahead: a social, political, and even moral culmination of sorts.’'
- the dust jacket for Nonzero

Notice the statement I highlight in bold. I didn't notice the joke until my philosophy lecturer pointed it out. In other words, it is just saying moral progress which somehow seemed contrary to our human nature and yet it is the very thing we will engage in, seemed to preclude the idea of a supernatural being. It is a miracle that we are engaged in something that will happen anyway. For example, as illustrated by my lecturer, although I think it's probable for me to not get a 6 when I roll a dice and turns out that I did and that's a miracle. What a joke. Haha...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home